One of my favorite tea flavors is chai spice. Often, I make my own blend, but it doesn’t take several types of ingredients. When I’m in a hurry, I grab pre-blended chai spice tea. Chai spice is typically a blend of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg and allspice along with black tea. It’s a warming blend that pairs well with winter squash. So, my entry into Stash Tea recipe challenge is Chai Spice Butternut Squash Risotto.
How to Make Risotto the Easy Way
I love risotto, but I hate making it. To make risotto correctly requires time. It requires slowly incorporating the liquid into the starchy Aborio rice. You can not rush the process. By slowly add the liquid, along with constant stirring, creates a creamy, smooth porridge consistency. Recently, I discovered that I can achieve the same results with a slow cooker! A crock pot is made to cook food at a slow rate at a constant, even heat. It’s perfect for making a delicious and easy risotto. It’s a simple as dumping all the ingredients in and letting it do it’s thing.
You must use Aborio rice to make risotto. Aborio is a starchy, short grain rice. The starch is key to getting that creamy consistency that risotto is known for. To infuse the broth with the full flavor of Stash Chai Spice, you need to let it steep in hot vegetable broth for five minutes. Don’t use chicken broth for this dish–it will overwhelm the spiciness of the chai spice. The flavors of the chai spice that makes the risotto shine.
Slow Cooker Chai Spice Butternut Squash Risotto
- 4 bags Stash Chai Spice tea
- 3 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups butternut squash peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat the vegetable broth to a light boil. Remove from heat. Steep the 4 bags of Stash Chai Spice tea in the vegetable broth for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags and compost or discard.Place the rice, broth, white wine, olive oil, garlic, onion, squash, and salt and pepper into a crock pot.
- Cook on high for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Its done when the liquid is mostly gone and the rice and squash tender. Add the parmesan cheese right before serving.
Stash Tea is offering a special discount to our fans. Use promo code THEPRUDENTGARDEN-SC at checkout or use the link below to order: